Max Verstappen Warns He Could Quit F1 After Canadian GP Struggles: ‘There Are Other Fun Things Out There’
Max Verstappen has once again cast doubt over his long-term Formula 1 future, admitting that he could walk away from the sport if concerns surrounding the current power unit regulations are not addressed.

The four-time world champion made the comments after qualifying sixth for the Canadian Grand Prix, reiterating frustrations he has repeatedly voiced about Formula 1's 2026 regulations.
Max Verstappen questions F1 future again
Verstappen has been one of the most vocal critics of Formula 1's new power unit era, which places a significantly greater emphasis on electrical energy deployment and management.
While the FIA recently proposed revisions for 2027 that would reduce the electrical component's influence and shift the balance back towards traditional internal combustion power, the Red Bull driver admitted he remains unconvinced until changes are finalised.
"If it stays like this, it's going to be a long year next year that I don't want," Verstappen said after qualifying in Montreal.
"It's just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. It's really not."
The Dutchman is contracted to Red Bull until the end of the 2028 season but has repeatedly suggested that his future in Formula 1 will depend on whether he continues to enjoy racing under the sport's evolving regulations.
FIA considering regulation changes
Formula 1's governing body confirmed last week that teams had reached an agreement in principle over changes for 2027.
The proposal would alter the current near 50-50 split between combustion and electrical power to a 60-40 ratio, reducing the extreme energy management requirements that several drivers have criticised.
Verstappen welcomed the proposal earlier in the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, suggesting it would improve the racing product and increase his enjoyment behind the wheel.
"I just want a good product in Formula 1," he said.
"I think the product will improve like that, so naturally I think then the enjoyment will go up as well."
However, discussions between manufacturers including Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull-Ford, Audi and Honda remain ongoing, meaning final approval is yet to be secured.
'There are a lot of other fun things out there'
Asked whether he would consider taking a sabbatical before returning if regulations improved in the future, Verstappen delivered a blunt response.
"No. There's a lot of other fun things out there."
The 28-year-old has increasingly expanded his motorsport interests beyond Formula 1 over the past year. Most recently, he competed at the Nürburgring 24 Hours and has made several appearances at the famous German circuit while continuing to build his sim racing and endurance racing projects.
Red Bull backs Max Verstappen concerns
Red Bull team principal Laurent Mekies defended Verstappen's comments, insisting the reigning world champion's criticism comes from a desire to protect Formula 1's sporting spectacle.
"Max cares about the sport," Mekies said.
"He wants to see flat-out qualifying. He wants to see the fastest drivers being able to push as hard as they want in the corners without losing lap time because of energy management."
Mekies also praised the FIA, Formula 1 and the teams for showing willingness to address the concerns raised by drivers ahead of the new era.
Verstappen's Canadian Grand Prix weekend
Verstappen will start Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix from sixth on the grid after a difficult qualifying session for Red Bull.
With rain expected in Montreal, the Dutchman will be hoping to recover positions during the race as he continues his pursuit of another world championship challenge.
However, his latest comments ensure that Formula 1's future regulations-and his future in the sport-remain one of the biggest talking points in the paddock.


Click it and Unblock the Notifications